Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Acuna Mission Trip

Outside the government offices in Acuna
Eli participating in the press conference
Teresa and I working really hard:)
This is outside Pastor Daniel's church.  They fed us all our meals while we were there.
Teresa, DJ, Danna and I before breakfast
This is what the scene looked like when we arrived at the clinic on Saturday morning.  There were already at least 50 people waiting to be seen.
Dale giving a pep talk prior to clinic.
This is the first step in the process.  Everyone had to register and get a number.
Then they waited to see a nurse.
Then they saw a nurse and the nurse triaged them to either doctor, dentist, pharmacy or all the above.  This was my first patient and he was absolutely precious.  He was screaming in pain until I touched his stomach and then he stopped crying immediately.  Definitely brought back memories to my own little crankster with gas and colic.  The mom was a first time mom and so badly needed education and some reassurance.  The miracle with this family is that they did not have any formula to give their baby and we had run out of formula to give out but somehow they left clinic that day with formula.  God always provides even if we aren't sure how.
After the patients see a nurse they check back in.

Then they wait outside again.  See how hot that sun looks?  It really was that hot!
Thankfully the coke truck pulled up and dropped off a truckload of coke for everyone!
After waiting in the hot sun at least twice, but probably 3 or 4 times, they got to come to pharmacy and at least get vitamins.
sibling love
Their were all kinds of activities for the kids while they waited.
I love this old man!
This baby was screaming and screaming until Paul picked her up.  You can tell he volunteers in our nursery at church.  He was a natural.
Churches donated rice, flour, diapers, and other hygiene products for people to pick up.
This is nurse Betsy who sat next to me.  She was a huge help since this was my first medical mission.
Here we are on the front page of the local newspaper.
More shots from the day.
Shots from the day.
Another patient, Jane and I.  Jane was one of the translators and I truly would have been worthless without her.
Paloma was another translator that helped me out.  Over the course of the day I think I had at least 4.
More pictures from the day.
Here is our long line of vans.
A nearby house.
This is where the clinic was held.
Despite the very very long day we still had time to have some fun.  Actually we were hauling chairs up the stairs and created an assembly line to get them up the narrow staircase.  It looks like we were having fun though, right?
Clinic is over and we are tearing down the room.
One final group photo.

Most of these pictures were taken by Chris Powell, our photographer on the trip.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome trip, Kelly! I'm glad that you got to go. Thanks for sharing your adventure and ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly I didn't even know you went on a mission trip! That's why I need to call you instead of David calling Kyle ;)
    It looks like your team was able to serve a lot of people and I'm sure you were blessed by the experience as well. I love seeing all your photos but I particularly like the one of the outside of the clinic. Very nice!
    Take care!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete